Loving Mother Nature begins at home. Teaching your kids to respect the earth at an early age, they will realise the impact of their actions when they grow up. The small steps they take today can have a ripple effect on their future.
Parents play a crucial role in educating their children about taking care of the environment. Here are practical tips on starting environmentally-conscious habits at home:
Lead by Example
Loving and respecting the environment begins with you. Our children’s minds are like sponges, soaking up everything around them. Introducing them early to live a greener and more eco-conscious life will help them value their later role as responsible citizens.
The best way to teach children to develop an eco-friendly lifestyle is to be a good role model yourself. One way to do this is through recycling and other practices that reduce waste. Bringing your reusable bags while grocery shopping is an excellent example of how to live a greener way.
When you show your children that you care for and respect the environment, they will do the same.
“Go green” at Home
Developing new eco-friendly practices at home will eventually lead to good habits.
- Remind your kids to turn off the lights, water and appliances when not in use.
- Walk or ride a bike with them to school. If possible, set up a “walking school bus” with other children in the neighbourhood. This activity allows kids to walk or bike to and from school, with the supervision of an adult.
- When they’re doodling, teach them to use paper on both sides to minimise waste.
- Create bins for different kinds of recyclables (plastic, glass, paper and metal) and involve your children in the sorting and cleaning process.
- Give away old and unused toys and clothes. Not only are you helping people in need, but you are also teaching kids to keep these items out of landfills.
Connect with Nature
Gardening is one of the best ways to help our children develop a love for nature. Buy a plant for each child that they can take care of indoors or outdoors, and teach them how to take care of it. Nurturing the plant is also a fun way for children to learn how plants need sun, soil and water.
Taking a trip to a local park or preserved area will help them appreciate the beauty of the outdoors. You can also involve your entire family in a beach clean-up drive, and grab the opportunity to teach your kids about protecting marine wildlife by properly disposing of rubbish.
As we allow our children to partner with us in reducing waste and caring for the environment, we are giving them a shared responsibility to steward the planet well. When we do so, they will grow up to be environmentally-conscious citizens who can teach others to do the same.
We Partner with You in Working Towards an Environmentally Sustainable Future
Kids Choice Granville is committed to working towards a sustainable future for our Granville community. Our specially designed child care programs help children cultivate a higher degree of connectivity with the world.
Call us on 07 4121 0122 or email email@example.com for enquiries.